Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Resting Up

Lemans is back home and healing from her spay surgery. She is eating and drinking well(she's still a piggy) and enjoys sleeping outside of her crate. The only problem is some loose stool and she sometimes licks at her sutures. The day before she went in for her spay surgery she ran full speed up to me in the backyard. This caused her right ankle to swell up. I tried cold compressing several times but it didn't help. She got an x-ray at the vet and it turns out she has an old fracture there that flared up. She'll have to be on leash in the backyard from now on. Hopefully, the leg will return to normal soon. She also had a full dental done and her teeth look great. She still dislikes brushing them, especially the front teeth.

Turns out Lemans does not have separation anxiety. I left for three hours today and she did great. She actually has "come and go" anxiety. The other day when she was in her kennel she started barking after an hour because when I got home I started doing housework and left her in there since I couldn't keep an eye on her. Turns out she does not like being confined to the kennel while I work around the house and yard.

There was a fear biting incident this past weekend. I tried to move her into her kennel for bedtime. After calling her a few times with no success, I gently pushed her shoulder to get her up. After a few seconds she got scared and bit me (it was not hard and did not break skin). It was totally my fault and I felt so bad it happened. Lemans will sometimes yelp when you try to get her to do things she does not want(forcing medicine or suddenly grabbing her collar to move her). I've learned that she is really food motivated; so from now on if I want her to do anything I bribe her with yummy treats and she does great.

Lemans still doesn't like too much commotion. She runs into the bedroom when I play fetch with my other dogs. At first she was afraid when I was doing some exercising stretches, but now she learned that it is not a threat.

Lemans is pretty good at sharing the large bed most of the time. Once in a while she would growl at my other dogs if they try to squeeze in next to her.

I have solved her eating too fast problem by putting her kibble in a muffin pan. She eats much slower and rarely chokes. :)

Lemans' silly side is starting to come out. She stole a pillow and was playing with it. Sometimes when I pet her and stop, she'll paw at me and gently mouth my hands to get my attention for more loving.

I can't wait until her spay and leg heal up so we can get back to taking our nightly 30 min walks. She definitely has a lot of energy and can go for even longer if I was up to it. Here are some pictures I've taken over the past few days.

Hanging in the backyard with the Weims


Looking like a deer


Sharing a bed with Lucy


My pillow!


Resting up after surgery


Sweet face

No comments:

Post a Comment